Wednesday, April 29, 2015

My Thyroid Story

How It All Happened

When I was around 5 years old, I went through a very traumatic experience when getting my immunizations at the doctor. I was a healthy "normal" kid with no weight issues, perfectly fit and had good energy levels. All of this changed at once. All I remember was screaming my brains out while being held down on all four limbs while nurses or doctors gave me 4 shots in each arm and leg, AT THE SAME TIME. That's insane is it not?? Come to find out years and years later, this triggered an attack on my own thyroid. I could tell you my views on immunizations and children, but I am going to leave it for a different post because this is about my struggle story with hypothyroidism.

Being a Child with Hypothyroidism

Fast forward two years later to me as a 90 pound 7-year-old, sick and tired all of the time. I remember just wanting to stay home from school a lot because I was so tired. This is definitely not normal for a 7 year old girl. A normal weight range for the age of 7 is in the 60 pound range... So my stepfather, whom was a psychiatrist who had sometimes tested patients with depression to see if they had a thyroid problem, had me get tested. Come to find out I had a severe hypothyroidism.

Back to "Normal"

Once I was properly medicated for my hypothyroid, I had regular energy again, started taking dance lessons and completely lost the extra weight! It was a night and day difference with my improvements in energy and weight.

Differences in Doctors

I had a great doctor (who was in California) growing up and one thing I really liked about her was that she always listened to how I felt when prescribing my medication... as well as taking regular blood test to monitor the TSH levels. When I moved to Arizona, it was a struggle with my doctors because they kept wanting to lower my medication levels... which was hard for me because instantly I could tell my energy levels were decreasing and decreasing, my weight was increasing and increasing, and there was nothing I could do about it... or so I thought.

Fighting Hypothyroidism On My Own... Naturally!

The doctors in Arizona had a good reason though because there are great risks involved with over medicating the thyroid. However, I was stuck with low energy and weight gain again... About 5 months ago, I changed my diet and chose to naturally treat my hypothyroidism and that has greatly improved everything.



Coming Soon Topics on Hypothyroidism

The Natural Approach to Improving Thyroid Function
Autoimmune Protocol for Treating YOUR Hypothyroidism (+ other autoimmune disorders)
Risks of Over Medicating Hypothyroidism

No comments:

Post a Comment